Valemount 5 Services 5 Building Services 5 Application Forms and Process

Application Forms and Process

An application to construct, alter, or repair a building or structure (including manufactured home foundations) is available below. Please read the information on this page to determine if any other permits, restrictions, or outside agency requirements may affect your project, or, if there are other documents or permits that may be required to accompany your application.

If you have any questions about completing the application form, please contact the Building Inspector.



Site Plans

A site plan is required to show the location of the new building, driveway and/or access road, property lines, accessory building and measurements from the new building to the property lines.


Building Plans


Two sets of building plans, in metric or imperial measure, that shall include:

  • foundation plan showing footings and foundation walls
  • floor plan showing detailed layout and measurements
  • Elevation plans showing outside views of all sides of the building

cross section showing details of:

  • footings, foundation, all framing
  • posts and beams
  • floor & roof structures
  • interior & exterior finishing
Truss Details


Two sets of engineer’s stamped truss details and other engineer’s design components in the structure are required. Stamped truss details are not always available when applying for a permit. Therefore, truss details without an engineer’s stamp can be submitted and then replaced with the stamped copy once available, but stamped details must be provided to our office prior to calling for a framing inspection.
Manufactured Homes


Manufactured homes, sometimes referred to as mobile or modular homes, are an economical housing solution that have evolved from trailers and are now longer, heavier and more rigidly constructed. Because they are seldom moved once placed on a property, as much planning should go into the installation of a manufactured home as would be needed for a site built home.

All manufactured homes produced in Canada are required to carry a Canadian Standards Association Certification; either CSA Z240 for mobile homes, or CSA A277 for modular homes.

Manufactured homes used as residences on all properties within the Village of Valemount must bear a valid CSA certification decal, to be approved for use as a dwelling unit. The decal is usually found affixed to the cladding just to the left of the main entrance. When making non-structural changes to the exterior of a manufactured home, do not remove or deface the CSA decal.

Manufactured homes are required to be set up in a manner that meets or exceeds the BC Building Code, CSA standards and manufacturer’s instructions for site preparations, foundations and anchorage.

When ready for a final inspection, please contact Building Inspection Services.



Engineering may be required for your build; to confirm. please contact Building Inspection Services at the beginning of your project.
Development Permits and Development Cost Charges


Applicants must confirm with the Planning Department as to whether or not the property is in a Development Permit Area in which case a Development Permit will be required.
Development Cost Charges may be imposed prior to the issuance of a building permit. Please refer to Development Cost Charges Bylaw No. 516.


Applicants must confirm with the Planning Department that building plans corresponds with zoning.
Onsite Sewage


For projects not capable of connecting to the municipal sewer system, a copy of the Record of Sewerage System filed with the Northern Health Authority is required. A property is deemed capable of being connected to the Sewage Collection and Disposal System if the adjacent street, right of way or easement has a public Sewer Main which has sufficient capacity to provide for a Sewer Line.

If onsite sewage is present, and an addition or alteration involves additional bedrooms or plumbing, notification from the Northern Health Authority advising if the present sewage disposal system will accommodate the changes will be required. If alterations or improvements to the sewerage system are necessary, a copy of the Record of Sewerage System filed with the Northern Health Authority will be required.

Approval of the installation/alteration of the sewage disposal system is required prior to a final building inspection.

Important Links

Northern Health Authority


Plumbing Permit


A plumbing permit is generated with each building permit that has plumbing plans. Fees for plumbing permits are $100.00 for the first 10 fixtures and $6.00 for each additional fixture.
Permit Fees


Building Permit fees are calculated based on square footage and value of the project excluding land.

Fee Schedule


Building Permit Fees