Home Owner Grant
The home owner grant reduces the amount of property tax you pay for your principal residence. The grant is available to homeowners that pay property taxes to a municipality or to the province if they live in a rural area. You are eligible for a home owner grant only if the property for which you are on title is your principal residence (you must live in the residence).
You may qualify as a homeowner who is:
- Under 65 years of age
- A senior
- A veteran
- A person with disabilities
- Living with a spouse or relative with disabilities
- A spouse or relative of a deceased owner
Applying for the Home Owner Grant
Your must apply to receive your home owner grant each year. There have been some changes to the Home Owner Grant process for 2021.
Starting in 2021, residents in municipalities no longer apply for the home owner grant through their municipal office. Everyone now applies directly to the province using a new online or telephone system that’s easy to use and will process applications faster.
When you apply, we'll need your social insurance number to verify your eligibility.
Get ready to apply:
The best time to apply is after you receive your property tax notice in the mail and before your property tax due date.
- Wait to receive your property tax notice in the mail. This usually happens around May.
- Keep your property tax notice on hand. It has important numbers you’ll need to apply.
- Apply online. Your information will be safe and secure when you apply online. It only takes a few minutes and is faster than calling.
- If you’re unable to apply online, call 1.888.355.2700 for assistance.